Select Committee on Euthanasia
On the 22 February 1995, the Northern Territory Legislative Assembly appointed a Select Committee on Euthanasia to take evidence and submissions on a private member's bill, The Rights of the Terminally Ill Bill 1995.
The Committee's report was tabled in the Legislative Assembly on the 16 May 1995.
Terms of Reference
(1) A committee to be known as the Select Committee on Euthanasia be appointed to take evidence and submissions on the Rights of the Terminally Ill Bill 1995;
(2) unless otherwise ordered, membership will comprise Mrs Braham, Mr Rioli, Dr Lim, Mr Poole and Mr Stirling;
(3) the committee be empowered to send for and examine persons, papers and records, to sit in public or in private session notwithstanding any adjournment of the Assembly and to adjourn from place to place;
(4) the committee shall report to the Assembly by 16 May 1995;
(5) the quorum of the committee be 3 members;
(6) the committee be empowered to publish from day to day such papers and evidence as may be ordered by it and, unless otherwise ordered by the committee, a daily Hansard be published of such proceedings as take place in public;
(7) the committee be provided with all necessary staff, facilities and resources and be empowered to appoint persons with specialist knowledge for the purposes of the committee with the approval of the Speaker; and
(8) the foregoing provisions of this resolution, so far as they are inconsistent with standing orders, have effect notwithstanding anything contained in the standing orders.
Rights of the Terminally Ill Act 1995
The Rights of the Terminally Ill Bill was passed by the Northern Territory's Legislative Assembly on 25 May 1995.
On 16 June 1995, His Honour the Administrator of the Northern Territory of Australia, Mr KJ (Austin) Asche, advised the Legislative Assembly that, pursuant to section 7 of the Northern Territory (Self-Government) Act 1978 of the Commonwealth, he had assented to the Rights of the Terminally Ill Act 1995 to become proposed law. The Act came into operation on 1 July 1996.
The Northern Territory Government has made available the following documents published by the Legislative Assembly:
Rights of the Terminally Ill Amendment Act 1996
The Rights of the Terminally Ill Amendment Bill was passed by the Northern Territory Legislative Assembly on 20 February 1996 and assented to by His Honour the Administrator of the Northern Territory of Australia, Mr KJ (Austin) Asche, on 20 March 1996. This Act came into effect on 1 July 1996.
On 5 June 1996, The Hon. Fred Finch, MLA issued a media release announcing that the Draft Regulations for the Rights of the Terminally Ill Act were to be released to Parliamentarians and interested groups for comment.
- Draft regulations, Rights of the Terminally Ill Act
- Regulations under the Rights of the Terminally Ill Act 28 June 1996
Private Member's Bill introduced by Mr Neil Bell, MLA Member for Macdonnell
- Respect for Human Life Bill 1996 (defeated)
- Second reading speech made by Mr Neil Bell, MLA Member for Macdonnell on 15 March 1996
Private Member's Bill introduced by Mr Neil Bell, MLA, Member for Macdonnell
- Care of the Dying Consultation Bill 1996 (defeated)
- Second reading speech made by Mr Neil Bell MLA, Member for Macdonnell on 15 March 1996
Private Member's Bill introduced by Mr Eric Poole, MLA, Member for Araluen
Senate Legal & Constitutional Legal Committee, March 1997
In June 1996, Mr Kevin Andrews, Member for Menzies in the Commonwealth House of Representatives announced his intention to introduce a private member's Bill to override the Rights of the Terminally Ill Act. On 9 September 1996, he introduced the Bill entitled Euthanasia Laws Bill 1996 in the House. On 9 December 1996, the House of Representatives agreed to the bill with amendments.
On 7 November 1996, while debate on the Bill continued in the House of Representatives, the Senate Selection of Bills Committee recommended and the Senate agreed that the provisions of the Bill be referred to the Senate Legal and Constitutional Legislation Committee for inquiry. The report was tabled in the House in March 1997.
The Copyright Act 1968 permits certain reproduction and publication of this proposed law. In particular, section 182A of the Act enables a complete copy to be made by or on behalf of a person for a particular person. For reproduction or publication beyond that permitted by the Act, prior written permission must be sought from:
The Table Office
Northern Territory Legislative Assembly
GPO Box 3721
DARWIN NT 0801
Telephone: (08) 8946 1452
The Right of the Individual or the Common Good? - Volume 1
Select Committee on Euthanasia - Volume 2: Transcripts of Evidence
Select Committee on Euthanasia - Volume 3a: Written Submissions Part A Submissions 001-304
Select Committee on Euthanasia - Volume 3b: Written Submissions Part B Submissions 305 - 664
Select Committee on Euthanasia - Volume 3c: Written Submissions Part C Submissions 665 - 915
Select Committee on Euthanasia - Volume 3d: Written Submissions Part D Submissions 916 - 1126