Department of the Legislative Assembly, Northern Territory Government

Housing Modifications for People with a Disability


10th Assembly


203. Housing Modifications for People with a Disability

Ms Carney to MINISTER for Family and Community Services

Housing Modifications for People with a Disability

Minister I am advised (IDA) that the Housing Department has the funding to modify houses/units for people with a disability but as there is only one OT in the DHCS allocated to this job (to do the assessments of client/home) and he/she can’t cope with the workload, there is a hefty wait for modifications.

1. Minister what is being done to address this problem.


Answered on 07/02/2006

All Occupational Therapists are trained in the assessment of people who have a disability either short or long term, and in the prescription of equipment and environmental modifications to enable the individual to actively participate in all aspects of their life.

There are currently 34 Occupational Therapy positions within the Department of Health and Community Services providing services to meet the wide range of needs for their clients of all age groups, which includes assessments and prescriptions for house modifications. These positions are located in multidisciplinary teams focusing on particular regions and age groups. Where vacancies arise, every effort is made to support the work from therapists managed in other teams.

There are also non government sector, private and Australian Government Occupational Therapists who provide this service in the areas of children’s services, adult acute care, adult rehabilitation and workers compensation.
Last updated: 04 Aug 2016