Education and Training Budget
9. Education and Training Budget
Mr Elferink to for Treasurer
On the 30th June 2008, $4,489,000 was transferred from the Department of Education and Training :
1. Why was that money transferred out of education.
2. From what budget areas of the Department of Education and Training was that money take.
Answered on 21/11/2008
In the lead up to the 2008-09 Budget it was announced that the Government would establish a Department of Health and Families (DHF), to commence 1 July 2008.
This Department included functions from the former Department of Health and Community Services (DHCS), Northern Territory Police, Fire and Emergency Services and the Departments of the Chief Minister and Justice. A function was also transferred from the former DHCS to the former Department of Employment, Education and Training (DEET).
Although these transfers did not take effect until 2008-09, it is usual practice for the Budget Papers to present the Estimate (in this case 2007-08) in a format consistent with the functions being undertaken in the Budget year (in this case, 2008-09).
In response to the specific question:
1. $4.489 million was transferred from DEET back to DHCS as this was the appropriation associated with the function due to transfer to DEET in 2008-09. However, the function remained the responsibility of DHCS in 2007-08.
2. Funding was not taken from any budget area as it related to a function which was the responsibility of DHCS for 2007-08.